Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Side Effects of Invokana?

[NOTE: THIS IS POST IS TURNING INTO A MINI BLOG]

I've been going through a most disconcerting experience.

I was given a really hot new drug to take for Type II Diabetes. It's called Invokana.

My experience was intially good.  In particular I had increased energy and a brighter mood.

But something happened. Can't say for sure since the Invokana was just one component of my medical "cocktail" fighting the ravages of late middle age.

I think I became Robin Williams on speed. Now I am already Robin Williams when I have low blood sugar see the attached video. So, imagine the most, hmmm... interestingly hyper or intelligent and sensitve scenes from "Morky and Mindy," "Good Morning Vietnam,"  "Mrs. Doubtfire," "Alladin," and, let's say, "Death To Schmochy" edited and reinterpereted and narratored by, say Jim Carrey all in one looooongggggggggg breath. Puff! Puff! Puff! That's how I began to feel under the influence of Invokana.



Had to stop taking the drug. It's begun clearing out of my system.

I will blog on this topic further. Was the normal 300mg dosage simply too much for me? Was I sensitive to it? Did it unpredictably interact with the other drugs? We'll see if it can be untangled. Right now I just hope I can get back some of the good effects without the bad. (My neuropathy pain was unabating!)

Please review the literature of new drugs. Review them with you doctor ahead of time. Then again more carefully at home. Don't willfully let ignorance be at the heart of the problem, it's always the part of any problem already. Also we might need to make sure the FDA does a better job making sure that studies are complete and thorough as some of the liteature seems to me, a layman, to imply otherwise.

Addendum:

It may be the case I that have been dealing with a well documented side effect of Invokana. Invokana is known to cause dehydration. Dehydration has been known to cause insomnia. Insomnia is known to interfere with mental processes. Hence the feeling of being "Robin Williams on Speed."

I've read that it takes on average 94 hours or 4 days for the Invokana to clear the system of a healthy person. No idea of the longest and shortest amounts of time.

There's a great deal more to learn. Use Google's Scholar Search Service just type in the drug name you are interested in. Also do not foget to consult your pharmacist. I hear new pharmacists need to have their doctorate in Pharmacology meaning they must demonstrate superior higher order thinking skills, good commincations skills, and have extensive knowledge before they are permitted to "dispense pills." My CVS pharmacist was extremely helpful. I believed she was feeling underutilized given her training and was glad to be part of a problem solving effort such as mine.

Om the otherhand I can't say I was pleased with my dear endocrinologist who was unaware that Invokana could cause real dehydration problems, and that dehydration can cause insomnia. And insomnia could make me a clone one of the best comic actors in the known universe. ("Yes, honored members of the Academy it was 'Pain and Fortune without the acting classes or even rehearsals.'")("Geez, that was sooo E.Z. Thank you doctor, Hurtzmore!) Oh boy! She thought I'd already be sitting in a pysch ward. ("Didyanow, Little Missey? I would have undoubtedly found the best and brightest of our times there. LOL! ("Actually, I think, this summer the acronym "I. A. O. L -- Inner and Outer Laughter -- might be more appropriate." Thank you, Francis. Anytime, Frank.)

July 7, 2014 -- Seems to pretty much run it's course but I still may be having residual effects -- I am still not sleep properly and I really want to do stand up comedy and continue to act silly. Blood Test tommorrow. Hopefully the results will be in by Friday so we can check my BUN score.("Not those buns, fool!") ("Sister Zelda, 'Can I channel Mr. T if he's not dead?' "Hey,  someboy know if Mr. T is OK?" 'Yes. Larry Tureaud born 1952, AKA "Mr. T." appears to be alive and well, just not very funny anymore. His act is old. He clearly needs to lose the gold bullion neckware and renounce faux violence. His most famous alter ego B. A. Barracus was an excellent engineer, perhaps he can draw inspiration from B. A." "Thank you, Francis. Anything for you, my little hot dog (Frank)")


To Be Continued.

July 8th. Concerned about my kidneys. They were OK before Invokana but two MD endocrionologist and internist say numbers not good after about six weeks of Invokan and and just a little improvement two days after stopping the Invokana.

Will test again may be tomorrow or in a month. I might skip the insurance and ask to pay cash depending on the cost. I am curious to know the difference between 2 days after stopping the Invokana and 11 days after stopping. Will post +/- if and when I get the results.

TBC.


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this valuable information, I hope it is okay that I bookmarked your website for further references.
    Invokana side effects

    ReplyDelete